Director of Operations
Posted on: September 22, 2022
US1120 FreshPoint San Francisco, Inc.
Minimum Level of Education:
Minimum Years of Experience:
This is a Senior Leadership Operations position responsible for
overseeing and directing daily execution of all aspects of Inbound
and Outbound Warehouse; Fleet Services; Facilities Management
(including building, grounds, power industrial equipment,
sanitation, security), Beverage Services; Transportation (including
routing, delivery, and backhaul); Operations Systems and related
third party providers. Responsibilities include but are not limited
to, achieving performance key metrics; expense and revenue
management; strategic execution of local and corporate initiatives;
compliance with government regulations; safety and security of the
building, its contents and people. Responsible for building and
developing the operations management team along with ensuring a
culture of engagement, problem-solving and continuous
The expressed purpose of this role is to prepare the incumbent for
future VPO opportunities.
- Responsible for the wholesome, accurate, efficient, fiscally
responsible daily work and safety of inbound and outbound
warehouse, transportation (Delivery), fleet services, facilities,
beverage services departments, and associates.
- Supports the VPO in the development of the annual profit plan
with direct input from the management team.
- Oversees budget management including labor, benefits, supplies,
company assets, capital investments, depreciation, maintenance and
repair, and third party contracts.
- Evaluates fiscal metrics and adjusts activities to meet or
exceed performance expectations.
- Coordinates with other departments as necessary to ensure
upgrades and repairs are completed efficiently and
- Performs management functions of staff selection, compensation,
development, discipline, performance reviews and/or
- Strategically adjusts departments' activities, policies and
practices to meet or exceed key performance metrics and customer
- Actively supports other departments in the achievement of their
- Coordinates with the Corporate facilities team to analyzes the
growth of operating company against facility size to maintain
proper storage, receiving, and shipping capabilities for present
and future business.
- Champion efficiency ideas, cost reduction measures and assists
with the implementation of changes as they pertain to areas of
responsibility and total company.
- Identifies problems and proposes solutions to other members of
- Monitor audits ensuring all required inspections and
documentation are completed accurately (including, but not limited
to, food safety documentation, DOT records, EPSM, PSM, etc.) and
retained to ensure a minimum potential for loss.
- Enforces policies and procedures to drive compliance with all
Insurance Pooling requirements; with local, state, federal and
provincial regulatory agencies (i.e. OSHA, DOT, FDA, USDA, DOL,
CVOR (Canada), etc.); with licensing and log book requirements and
with food safety policies, protocols and requirements.
- Monitors the condition and maintenance of the warehouse, fleet
services, equipment, software, ammonia refrigeration system, HVAC
systems, fire protection, and office by ensuring that all are kept
consistent with the safety, security, sanitation and appearance
standards set by Sysco in an effort to reduce or eliminate
operations related injuries or accidents, damage/loss of product or
equipment, and unnecessary costs.
- Ensures contingency systems/practices/protocols are in place to
eliminate business disruption.
- Oversees emergency response or crisis management
- Develops and maintains liaisons with local emergency management
and other entities in order to facilitate plan development and
response effort coordination.
- Assists Safety Manager with training initiatives.
- Drives compliance in the utilization of systems in line with
standard operating procedures.
- Collaborates with merchandising, sales management, and
marketing associates to resolve any customer or delivery
opportunities or issues.
- Visits customer locations and meets with customers to address
issues and assess delivery difficulty.
- Provides assistance in the solicitation of new or prospective
business by participating in company meetings and presentations
when necessary, and in other market area activities to develop and
foster the company's recognition within the business
- Where applicable, oversees or participates in the
interpretation, adherence, and negotiation of the collective
- As necessary, participate in grievance or arbitration
- Maintains associate relations through regular department
meetings; maintains on-going interaction; keeps open communication
channels with associates by answering questions and explaining
policies and procedures; monitors associate morale; and implements
or responds to ideas to improve associate engagement and
- Interprets, trains and consistently enforces Company policies
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Supply Chain
Management, Operations Management or a closely related field
required or equivalent combination of education and related
- 7 years of Operations management experience with demonstrated
progressive levels of management experience
Certifications, Licenses and/or Registrations
- Must possess a valid Driver's License, provide proof of
liability coverage meeting Company standards and complete a Sysco
approved the defensive driving program.
- Incident Command System training, or obtains within 12
- Ability to read, comprehend, write and speak English.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business
periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to
questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of
measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of
concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in
written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Spreadsheet software and Word
Processing software, and ability to learn Sysco technology software
- Must have excellent computer skills.
- Working knowledge of Federal Motor Carrier Safety
- Working knowledge of environmental regulations/legislation and
- Ability to successfully engage and lead individual and team
discussions and meetings.
- Ability to apply all relevant policies in a consistent, timely
and objective manner.
- Capable of working with peers and associates from other
departments, operating companies, corporate and the business
community in a proactive and constructive manner.
- Ability to work in a disciplined manner and capable of
following established procedures, practices and comply with local,
state and federal regulations.
- Ability to manage the pressures and stress associated with a
deadline-oriented atmosphere and customer service issues.
- Demonstrates skill in making independent decisions in support
of company policies and procedures in a timely manner.
- Reports to work promptly and regularly; works well with others;
demonstrates the ability to consistently meet deadlines.
- To be successful in this position, the individual performing
the duties must successfully demonstrate all director-level
leadership framework competencies.
- Regularly required to talk or hear.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger,
handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and climb or
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally exposed to wet, hot, extreme cold and/or humid
conditions; moving mechanical parts and may be required to work in
- The associate works non-traditional business hours including
evenings, nights, weekends, holidays and on-call.
- The associate may occasionally be required to travel to other
operating companies or the corporate office as business needs
dictate (i.e. training, business continuation, etc.).
- The associate is occasionally exposed to high, precarious
- The associate is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne
- The noise level in the work environment is usually
- Must be willing to relocate
For information on Sysco's Benefits, please visit
HOW WE PROTECT OUR ASSOCIATES
- Personal protective equipment and masks provided
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, and cleaning procedures in place
Sysco is the global leader in foodservice distribution. With over
57,000 associates and a fleet of over 13,000 vehicles, Sysco
operates approximately 326 distribution facilities worldwide and
serves more than 625,000 customer locations.
We offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and
professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic
organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their
expectations. We're looking for talented, hard-working individuals
to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why Sysco
is at the heart of food and service.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION STATEMENT:
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
employer, and consider qualified applicants without regard to race,
color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or
any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its
subsidiaries and affiliates.
Keywords: Sysco, Newark , Director of Operations, Executive , Newark, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!