Posted on: January 15, 2022
Job Description The nurse practitioner is a member of the core
interdisciplinary group whose primary function is to - -provide
consultation in palliative care, symptom management and supportive
care to meet the needs of the seriously ill patient and family, as
requested by the referring physician. -The nurse practitioner will
work with the interdisciplinary group who implement the plan of
- Facilitate clarification of patient and family goals of
- Facilitate access to appropriate support models of care (i.e.,
hospice, rehabilitation, on-going aggressive treatment).
- Assist with diagnosis, treatment and management of acute and
chronic health conditions.
- Educate facility staff, co-workers and the community on all
aspects of palliative care and the services provided by VITAS
- Attend, participate, and lead (when applicable) internal VITAS
Palliative Care's team meetings.
- Consult with the referring physician, the acute care team and
other involved providers to contribute to the patient's plan of
- Prepare and maintain accurate patient records, charts and
documents to support the medical practice and reimbursement for
- Prescribe medications including controlled substances to the
extent delegated and licensed and after collaboration with
palliative care and referring physician.
- Order diagnostics / treatments as needed after collaboration
with palliative care and referring physicians.
- Interpret, evaluate and communicate diagnostic findings to the
- Collaborate with and supervise palliative care team members,
- Assist in development of clinical practice guidelines /
standards in support of quality palliative care as requested by
- Utilize a customer service approach in all interactions with
- Adhere to the practice of confidentiality regarding patients,
families, staff and the organization.
- Participate in on-call rotation as needed.
- Other duties as requested by supervisor. Experience:
- Minimum five years nursing experience; clinical nursing care in
oncology, hospice, geriatrics, intensive care preferred.
- Knowledge of the interdisciplinary team concept.
- Experience in patient education, care planning and management
of pain and other symptoms for patients with advanced, serious
illness is desired.
- Ability to communicate tactfully, verbally and in writing with
department heads, managers, coworkers and vendors to resolve
problems and negotiate resolutions.
- Working knowledge of computers, internet access, and the
ability to navigate within an automated system as well as a variety
of software packages such as Outlook, Excel and Word. - Education:
- Masters of Nursing from an accredited university. Certification
- Licensed to practice in state; certified as a Clinical Nurse
Specialist or Practitioner.
- Certification by a national body (ANCC, AANP). -ACHPN
certification from the Hospice Palliative Credentialing Center
- DEA license.
- Reliable transportation, current state driver's license and
automobile insurance. Physical Requirements: Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions of the job. SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS
Keywords: VITAS, Newark , Nurse Practitioner, Healthcare , Newark, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!