Life Science Research Professional 2
Company: Stanford University
Posted on: May 24, 2023
Stanford University, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division
of Radiation and Cancer Biology is seeking a highly motivated Life
Science Research Professional 2 to join the Attardi Lab and our
team of researchers who are dedicated to studying the role of the
p53 tumor suppressor protein in development and cancer. The LSRP
will perform and analyze experiments to better understand the role
of p53 in cancer using a combination of genetic, cell biological
and molecular techniques. In addition to conducting experiments,
the LSRP will perform specific tasks to facilitate the daily
operation of the laboratory, including ordering supplies, assuring
laboratory compliance with government and university guidelines,
and maintaining certain mouse stocks. The candidate will be
required to perform more complex functions and activities involved
in defined research projects, and independently conduct a portion
of the research project(s).
- Independently conduct a portion of the research project(s).
Make recommendations on experimental design and/or research
direction to principal investigator.
- Independently conduct complex (lab and/or field) experiments to
gather data for a portion of a major research project.
- Interpret and analyze results, often where few guidelines
exist, and make modifications to existing procedures and
- Develop new research protocols where appropriate protocols are
not described in the literature or where modification or adaptation
of standard procedures and protocols is required.
- Participate in multidisciplinary teams across different
faculties or schools.
- Perform ongoing literature review to remain current with new
procedures and related research; apply to ongoing research and
development of new protocols.
- Contribute substantively to the preparation of papers for
publication, especially in the results section, and to publication
of findings. Present ongoing work to colleagues and/or academic
- Oversee supply and equipment budget under supervision of
principal investigator or business manager.
- Work with health and safety department to ensure lab complies
with regulations and all required trainings.
- Supervise (either formally or informally) staff or students as
needed, including oversight and direction on techniques, as well as
consultation on project work. Serve as a technical resource for
other research staff.
- Oversee the daily activities of the laboratory including lab
maintenance; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and
safety records, and provide general lab support as needed. May
assist with purchasing laboratory equipment.*- Other duties may
also be assigned EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED): Bachelor's
degree in related scientific field and two years of relevant work
experience; or Master's degree in a related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Comprehensive understanding of scientific principles.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master
computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent judgment.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance is
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to
accurately complete detailed work. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS*:
Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend,
stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp
forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write
by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40
pounds. Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above
shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts. Rarely climb, scrub,
sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls. Must
have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.Ability to
bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on
hard surfaces for up to eight hours.Ability to lift heavy objects
weighing up to 50 pounds.Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and
odorous environment.Position may require repetitive motion.*-
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will
provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability
who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of
his or her job. WORKING CONDITIONS:
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for
teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be
in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal
protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective
clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research
requirements and business needs. WORK STANDARDS:
Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates
the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and
with external organizations.Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates
commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety;
communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors
bases on training and lessons learned.Subject to and expected to
comply with all applicable University policies and procedures,
including but not limited to the personnel policies and other
policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, . The
expected pay range for this position is $68,000 to $85,000 per
Stanford University provides pay ranges representing its good faith
estimate of what the university reasonably expects to pay for a
position. The pay offered to a selected candidate will be
determined based on factors such as (but not limited to) the scope
and responsibilities of the position, the qualifications of the
selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal
equity, geographic location and external market pay for comparable
Keywords: Stanford University, Newark , Life Science Research Professional 2, Other , Newark, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...